March 19, 2011

Update on "Hurry Up and Wait!"

The first category was called this morning approximately 9:30 and told an hour later to go back home, there has been a temporary delay. I was heartbroken because I had gotten so excited for things to finally have gotten started. Now, several hours later, we have been given much more information and I am passing it on to you.

1) We are now required to travel with TDY orders (no clue what TDY stands for) so we will be able to gain re-entry into Japan. Luckily, these orders are supposed to take me directly to my final destination: New Orleans, La., on the Navy's dime.

2) I am now authorized two (2) bags weighing up to seventy (70) pounds each! I don't think I could pack that much stuff but I am definitely re-packing tonight.

3) I am authorized to receive a safe haven allowance for any additional expenses I might have, but our COLA (cost of living allowance) will be terminated.

4) The planes that arrived today were the wrong kind of planes, military and in order for this evacuation we need commercial. Now the next expected planes are for Monday.

5) They are expecting another small bout of radiation Monday night and Tuesday. We are advised to take the same precautions as this past week.

In preparation for this evacuation, I cleaned out my refrigerator and freezer Thursday night. Unfortunately, we have not left yet. Cleaning out refrigerator + not leaving yet = no food. The commissary and a few restaurants on base are still open so I can get food, but this has been such a hassle.

1 comment:

  1. I know is frustrating, but just stay calm and keep plugging away at it, it will happen. It's obvious that everyone, the Japanese, the navy, everyone was caught off guard with the magnitude of the earthquake, the tsunami, and now the reactor problems. they're trying and don't be surprised if there aren't a few more things that pop up as they haven't done anything like this before. Stay positive, you'll be here shortly and I can't wait to hug the stuffing out of you. I love you pumpkin.
    Daddy

    ReplyDelete