March 27, 2011

The Trip Home - part 2

On the shuttle back to the airport, I talked with a girl who traveled with us who was headed towards Kingsland, Ga (where my Uncle David lives). We chatted and went in together because we were on the same flight to Atlanta at 6:10 in the morning. Delta has kiosks to check in so we went up some and punched in every number on our itinerary and could not pull up our reservations. We asked an agent to help us and she tried once and said, "Oh, well I guess you'll have to go through the line". We looked over at the line, by now filled with about ten people, and headed over. Twenty minutes later, 4:20, we had not moved and the one agent was still helping the same person. I began getting ancy and decided I needed to do something about it. Now typically, I'm not the "take charge" type, but this morning, there was NO WAY I was missing that flight. I found a different agent and began explaining our situation and she agreed to go find some more agents to help us.

We quickly moved through the line, breezed through security, and had time for some breakfast before boarding the plane. The little over 4 hour trip to Atlanta passed uneventfully.I purchased the in-flight internet because I was extremely tired, getting grumpy, and needed something to help me pass the time. It seemed that in no time, we landed and I was on my way.

In Atlanta, Aunt Jan and Grandma met me and helped me get checked in for my next flight and we chatted and talked because I had a five hour layover. Well, I thought it was only going to be a five hour layover. A couple hours before my flight I decided that I needed to go ahead and get through security (where I found a half-empty water bottle in my carry on) and headed towards my gate. I arrived and sat down for the short wait to board when I glanced at the screen at noticed that my flight was not expected until 9:15, more than two hours past my original flight time.

Once again, I turned to the internet to keep me entertained, chatting with Momma and friends on Facebook. I was lucky enough to get a seat near the charging station so I was able to plug in my laptop and go. The plane was delayed due to storms in Pittsburgh, tornadoes, lighting, and torrential rain. When we finally boarded the plane, I was so relieved to be on my last leg of the trip.

When I landed for the very last time, I started crying, relieved to be finished, to be home. I met up with Momma and Daddy and we very quickly got home. When I finally did the math, I figured that I had been awake for 53 hours and had only gotten 4 hours (at most) of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment