March 12, 2011

Earthquakes

My first earthquake occurred in Georgia in the middle of the night. I was woken by movement similar to someone shaking the foot board of my bed. It only lasted a few short moments before I fell back asleep. Then I didn't really know what an earthquake felt like, thinking that maybe I had just woken up feeling queasy. However, I can now say that an earthquake is the most terrifying experience of my life.

It began when a friend and I had just entered a car and were preparing to leave. At first we thought something must be wrong with the car until we looked around and noticed everything else was quaking too. The parked cars across from us looked as if they were filled with kids bouncing around inside. The trees swayed as if a hard wind was blowing. But I think the thing that was most surreal was watching the glass on the storefront wave back and forth. I was sure it was going to shatter. This feeling kept on for about five minutes until it finally stopped.

My friend took me to my apartment where Alan and I live on the fifth floor. Inside, dvd's had fallen off the stand, books knocked over, and a few picture frames flipped over. I walked around to check the other rooms of the house when I heard this sound coming from my closet, almost as ifsomething had gotten inside and was trying to get out. I then noticed the blinds begin to quiver and it dawned on me: aftershocks. I jumped into the nearest doorframe and watched as everything began swaying; I could even look out the patio window and see the apartment tower next to us moving. I felt so helpless and terrified at what I saw and could do nothing about. About four minutes later, that quake ended and I decided I needed to talk to someone.

I called my mom and began explaining what was happening. While I was on the phone, a second aftershock began and I jumped back into the doorframe. This time I was bawling, terrified because I was alone, because Alan is in Guam, and because I did not know how long the quaking was going to last. When the light fixture finally quit swaying I bolted for the door determined to find Mt friend and get out of the tower. We quickly learned of the damage and watched footage of the tsunami wash away everything. We stood in awe, wondering how many people were affected and what would happen next.

The rest of the evening was filled with reassuring loved ones, excited talk, and trying to unwind from the stressful day. The aftershocks are still occurring but are so weak I can hardly feel them. I am very thankful to say that all is well.

1 comment: