March 30, 2011

Leaving Japan and...

A week into staying at my parents, a storm begins brewing threatening flash flooding, hail, and tornadoes. Whew! I thought I was getting away from the natural disasters but they seem to have caught up with me.

So far, no word as to when I can go back. I am looking into joining a gym today so I can have something to keep me busy (also it'll keep me healthy).

I've been shopping and I think I'm set now, got a few more clothes since clothes shopping in Japan is semi difficult. Everyone there is extremely trim so unless you follow suit, clothes could be a challenge.

Latest news from Japan: plutonium was found in soil samples around the nuclear reactors, but right now it's no higher than levels naturally found in soil in other parts of Japan. The TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Power Company) chief says that right now, he has no plan as to how to they are going to fix the situation. There is a large portion of underground water that has been contaminated with radioactive particles. Also, they are still trying to fix leaks from the reactors. Aftershocks are still occurring with the rolling power outages and very cool weather (they had snow last week!). The sea water used to help cool the reactors left behind salt residue that has to be cleaned out not mention the sea water itself became contaminated with radiation.

Please keep Japan in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment