March 27, 2011

Being Home

Home is wonderful. The only thing I wish is that Alan were here with me. He left for Guam three weeks ago and is expected to stay in Guam until we get the "all clear" to return. However, the possibility of something going terribly wrong and not being able to return before Alan's cruise lingers on my mind. I would not be able to see him for an additional six months. But for now, I'm trying to think positive.

Being home has brought many adjustments: riding on the right side of the road, not seeing kanji on every sign, not seeing the town filled with Japanese nationals, not using my iphone, humidity, green grass, and temperatures warmer than 55 degrees.

Home also brings crab legs (yummy), beautiful scenery, anything that you could possibly want at your fingertips, clothes, Walmart, more than 20 channels on the tv.

Although I'm glad I'm here, I cannot forget what is going on back in Japan. On the news this morning, it was stated that, "God is punishing the Japanese". For what?! The crime rates in Japan are lower than anywhere in the U.S., despite this crisis, they are calm, patient, and grateful for any help they receive. There has been no looting, riots, or uprisings. They are some of the kindest people I have ever met.

I do pray the situation gets under control and recovery efforts move quickly and efficiently.

2 comments:

  1. According to the sermon we heard this morning, Japan (and much of the "Ring of Fire") was just due for this sort of seismic activity. California might be next. While I haven't looked this up, it sounds reasonable to me.

    And God doesn't punish people with natural disasters!! That's why they're called NATURAL disasters and not Divine Disasters...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol...i agree w/ Lisa. God wasn't punishing the Japanese. That's just what people say when they obviously have not had to deal with bad things that happen beyond their control; i.e., natural disasters.

    ReplyDelete