March 25, 2011

The Trip Home - part 1

When I finally knew I was really going on that plane, I was so excited. I thnk I had one of the worlds biggest smiles on my face! We waited about another hour until the plane was prepped and ready and then we were called to begin boarding. Since I sat in the exit row, the back of my seat didn't recline. One girl who had been selected like me was complaining and really made a big deal about it. Then again, she was wearing some fluffy feathery creation on her head with leather pants and three inch heels. Interesting choice for airplane wear.

I was lucky enough to have plenty of leg room! Sleeping was a challenge and I knew that I rarely sleep on a plane. What little sleep I did get was on the tray table in front of me. Too bad there was also a little boy sitting that chair who, when he saw me tryingto catch some shut-eye, would shake the chair!

First we flew from Atsugi to Anchorage, a little over six hours, and then sat on the plane while it was refueled and loaded with more food, about two hours. From there we flew to Seattle and quickly went through customs and had iteneraries inland for our final destinations.

From there, I was taken to a hotel nearby to spend the night since my flight was at 6:10 the next morning. At the hotel, which was very large, I had my own room and began settling in for, what I hoped would be, a night of sleep. It turned out my cousin, Missy, and her husband and son, Dan and Jordan, were just down the road eating dinner! Missy came to pick me up and we ate a delicious dinner at The Cheesecake Factory.

Back at the hotel, I made a few phone calls with the free calling card supplied by the American Red Cross and tried to get some sleep. I woke up two hours later. That did give me plenty of time to re-pack my bag and clean up before the rest of my journey. Before I knew it, I was out the door on the shuttle back to the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment