November 1, 2010

The Daiei


Yesterday we took a trip to the Daiei. It's like a shopping mall but the store is four stories tall. The bottom floor was a grocery store and had many foods that Alan and I didn't even recognize! There was a wide variety of mushrooms, at least five different kinds, and all fresh and delicious looking. As we were leisurely walking along, I began to notice that one whole refrigerated section was devoted to noodles and dumplings.



Their meat selection was interesting, different cuts of beef and pork and a wide selection of fish, even more than the beef! Most of the fish we recognized and couldn't believe the price on. A good amount of clams was only a few dollars. We also spotted octopus. I'm not quite sure what to do with that.

As we went up the stairs at the Daiei, we found clothing, bedding, kitchen wares, games, and bikes. We had come to see about bike baskets so that we could ride our bikes around the base instead of walking. Luckily, Alan found one for his bike. My bike on the other hand needs a rack for the basket and we have to do a little more investigating to get a basket on there.

We also ate at Yoshinoya again, this time mixing it up a little. We got beef bowls that were mixed with noodles and a hunk of tofu. Now usually I am not a fan of tofu but this tofu was the best tofu I have ever tasted. It had a rich flavor that complimented the beef. This time we added miso soup to our dinner and I added a small salad. It looked like a cabbage and carrot salad and I was hoping for a ginger type dressing. To my surprise, it was coleslaw! Plain coleslaw like you would find in the States mixed with a little mayo and lemon juice.


After our trip we relaxed at home until the trick-or-treaters arrived. We only had a few knock but I still gave away most of our candy. For dinner I decided to cook fried rice to go with the dumplings we bought at the Daiei. Those dumplings were delicious! I'm not exactly sure what was in them but man were they good!

No comments:

Post a Comment