October 29, 2010

Japanese Fashion

Since the typhoon is scheduled to make the weekend very rainy, I decided to stock up on food stuffs so we wouldn't have to make a trip in the rain. Because we have chosen not to buy a car, we walk to the commissary every other day or so to grab food for the next few days because it's as much as we can carry back to the apartment. Today's trip was quite pleasant, it was sunny, the second sunny day I have seen since arriving in Japan.

The NEX is on the way to the commissary and we decided to stop in and see what we could find today. We had discussed buying some clothes for each of us to accommodate for the cooler climate. As we were looking, I noticed a young Japanese woman walking around in a very odd outfit. Stripes in two shades of pink from head to toe with some sort of hood on top. I had seen on the tv some of the interesting Japanese fashions including fur tails to hang on your jeans and (what looked like) fur leg warmers. I thought this was just another strange trend. Then I saw Snow White walk around the corner.

Today the employees had all dressed in their Halloween costumes. This one young woman was dressed as the Cheshire Cat. I also saw Stich (from Lilo & Stich), a chef, and the Mona Lisa, which I had never seen before and was quite interesting! The woman was dressed in black donning a black wig and had her head stuck through the painting like those silly wood cutouts you can find at the zoo, aquarium, or festivals. Alan and I had a laugh over this and then realized... we're going to have trick-or-treaters. Time to get some candy.

2 comments:

  1. It was so funny! Alan had seen her before and asked me if I saw the "where's Waldo" lady. I had missed her and then while we were looking in the men's clothing I looked at Alan and shifted my eyes towards her to make him look while not saying anything. I also thought about trying to get her picture. I seriously thought this was a new fashion trend or something!

    ReplyDelete