October 28, 2010

Musical Japan

Every so often I hear music of some sort coming from outside. I recognized the church bells as they play the same tune as Bartow CP Church but I haven't been able to find the church it comes from. When Alan and I went to the Sushi-Go-Round, we passed a building that housed a church on the upper floor and there's a church on base. I'm sure there's another church or two around but we haven't explored that much.

In the mornings, TAPS is played when the sun rises followed by the national anthem. The first morning here I was comforted by the sounds of our country's song. Throughout the day I can hear strains of Japanese music. The Japanese Navy have offices and barracks here, I think their barracks are across the street from our apartment building. The Japanese music is quite refreshing to hear and it adds to the living experience.

Speaking of living experience, I have heard a typhoon is headed towards Japan's coast. The other Navy base, Yokosuka, is located on the coast and is expected to receive fierce wind. Luckily, living inland helps with blocking some of the wind and we are expected to receive rain. I stop and laugh every now and then,  First we lived in California where it rained about three days a year, and now we live in Japan where it rains three days a week.

3 comments:

  1. There's a quick song that plays around 5pm, for the first 2 years I lived there I had no idea what it was. Someone informed me recently that it was the music that told the kids to go home for dinner. How cool to have something like that! You'll also hear the marching band from the Jr. High practicing. That's pretty fun. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks Crystal! That is neat! It always seems like there's something playing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome. I love hearing music wherever I go. Especially if it's conducive to the environment that I'm in.

    And about the rain - look at it this way. At least it's not three times a day, right?

    ReplyDelete