October 21, 2010

The First 48

To begin, I guess we should be introduced: I'm Kaitlin, my husband's name in Alan. We have just begun what I think will be one of our biggest adventures. We have moved to and currently reside in Atsugi, Japan.

An 11 hour flight from Seattle brought us to the largest island of Japan known as Honshu. After going through customs (and a 13 hour time change EST), we rode for two additional hours to arrive at Atsugi. During the ride, we were overwhelmed by the sights and culture differences. In Japan, drivers sit in the right side of the car, and drive on the left side of the road.

The gates of Atsugi brought us comfort and relief and we eventually checked into our room for the next several days. Soon we had received our cell phones and a meal and then slept. For over twelve hours. We finally woke up the next morning, just a bit early (3 am) and started another day. Alan went to get checked in and I unpacked and got settled in the hotel room.

I made a trip to the commissary, unsure of what I would find, but was relieved when I saw many of the major brands and foods that are available in the U.S. Produce, on the other hand, is quite pricey. I purchased two apples for $3.69. I think from now on we will be using more canned and dried fruits. With the exception of the produce, most everything is close to the prices we had become accustomed to.

Also, we applied for housing today. Luckily, we are able to move into one of the apartments in the high-rise towers on base on November 1. Hopefully, our furniture will arrive soon after but until then, we are able to use rental furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment