November 3, 2010

The Gorilla

So in Georgia, when we wanted directions to somewhere in Marietta, often the instructions would include something about the "big chicken". For those who are unfamiliar with the big chicken, it is a KFC resturant that is built in the shape of a big chicken. The eyes move around in a circle and the mouth opens and closes.

Apparently, there is a similar device used for giving directions here: the gorilla. Alan and I have yet to see the gorilla but I am excited to finally see it.

In class today, we learned more about the Japanese culture. Some interesting facts. They have more Western style weddings rather than their traditional wedding. You can also rent dresses here instead of buying them but it still costs around $3000, just to rent! They use the Chinese number system along with several of their own. The words for the numbers 4 and 9 have alternate meanings of "death" and "pain" so tall buildings will not have 4th or 9th floors. (Hospitals will not have rooms 4 or 9 either.) If you are visiting someone in the hospital, you are supposed to bring cut flowers instead of a potted plant. Since a potted plant lives longer, they will take that to mean you wish their stay in the hospital will be a long one.

We learned about different types of food today as well. I cannot remember the names of them all but there are several that Alan and I hope to try. One dish is made with noodles and squid with the squid ink being part of the sauce. Apparently it is supposed to taste similar to garlic with a hint of "sea flavor". I would like to try the different types of noodles: ramen, soba, and udon. I have heard that there are several ramen shops close to the base but the ramen at each place tastes different. One resturant gives you your meat and veggies and you cook it by dipping it into the hot water provided. A dish known as yakitori is chicken cooked on a stick like a shish-kabob. I hope that I can learn to make dumplings or pot stickers while I am here because those are one of my favorites.

2 comments:

  1. Levi really enjoys those meals where you cook your food in the broth! He says it's delicious.

    Noodles are great, and since you're walking everywhere, you can afford to eat all you want! lol

    Also, I think the 4 and 9 think is silly, but I know Asian cultures are very superstitious. Today my mom told me I was having a girl because I dreamed about a ring last night...LOL. Anyway, you know floor 5 is really floor 4...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I can teach you how to make dumplings!!

    ReplyDelete