January 17, 2011

Static Electricity

Remember in school when the teacher would give us a balloon, tell us to blow it up, rub it on our heads, and the charged balloon would stick to the wall? The funny hair after subsequent balloon rubbing? Maybe it's scrubbing your feet across the carpet then inching over to your friend (or little brother) and giving them a shock?

In Japan, static electricity runs rampant. Yesterday, when making the bed, I was shocked no less than fourteen times. Oftentimes, Alan will come home from work and stop to give me a kiss on the way in, shocking my nose in the process. And finishing my hair in the mornings with the straightening iron requires a dryer sheet nearby to help tame my charged hair. Folding laundry gives me repeated shocks even though we use sheets in the dryer. The static electricity here compares to nowhere I've ever been, shocking you at unsuspected moments and making clothes stick to you and to each other at all times.

I think we are going to try using fabric softener to help with the static in addition to dryer sheets. Hopefully it will help. Needless to say, our lives in Japan are quite electrifying.

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog Kaitlin! Wonderful adventures in a new land....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every morning when I get ready I put lotion on my hands. Then I run my hands through my hair after I've rubbed my hands together well. I've found that it helps with the static electricity and flyaways.

    I do know what you mean though. I hate static electricity shocks.

    ReplyDelete