January 15, 2011

Making Pasta

For Christmas, Alan received a pasta roller set to use with our Kitchen Aid. First we had to make the pasta dough, a simple enough recipe but difficult to combine. We attempted two different recipes to see which turned out best. In the end we used both.

First we made the dough and we had to let it sit before we could use it. Then we split the dough into easy to use sizes and rolled it out using the first pasta roller to the perfect thickness of the pasta we wanted to make. Using this, you roll the pasta through over and over again changing the setting between rolling to acheive the perfect thickness.

After reaching our desired thickness, we switched the roller to a fettuchini pasta cutter. This part was quick and simple, putting the pasta in and seeing it come out into perfect noodles. As we do not have a pasta drying rack, we made do with what we have. :)

5 comments:

  1. We are thinking about getting one of those to try to make our own whole grain pasta. Are you going to try to make whole grain? I hate the boxed kind. =(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched a show the other day about pasta making - and the chef dried his in the same way! Who needs fancy pasta drying equipment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We may try making whole grain. The pasta we made and dried turned out very brittle, but it was good fresh. I don't know if it's because we didn't use the semolina flour or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!! I wanted one of these soooo bad...maybe I'll have to break down and get one soon. I love making homemade pasta, but it's such a pain in the butt to roll out by hand and cut by hand. I have a fabulous whole wheat pasta recipe, girls, if you are at all interested :) Also, love the drying rack- y'all are so cute! I have never dried it before, though and I would probably mess that up somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love the pasta recipe. I was just asking Alan today if he knew of a recipe. And the pasta roller set makes it so easy!

    ReplyDelete