December 13, 2010

Off to Yokosuka!

Well today was quite an adventure, my friend and I wanted to travel to Yokosuka to pick up the boys tomorrow (we are so excited). She was driving and I was her co-captain as we traversed the foreign roads of Japan traveling to the other naval base. It is still odd riding on the other side of the car and the other side of the road, it almost feels like an out-of-body experience, but I guess one of these days I will get used to it. We were both nervous as we began our trip, traveling in the country where English is few and far between.

I guess we should have been nervous because first, we could not even find our way off base! Directions said to use an alternate gate and we drove for about thirty minutes before we found that gate, but as soon as we found it, we were ok. I was amazingly surprised at how easily we were able to find our way down the highways to Yokosuka.

We arrived on base and checked into the lodge, ate at Chili's, (yes, Chili's) and then took a nap. I guess we were both exhausted from  working all week and preparing for the guys to come home because we ended up sleeping for around two hours. After our short recess, we ventured out again around base. The Yokosuka base is so much bigger than the base we live at. The NEX has a huge selection of clothes, purses, cosmetics, etc. I was overwhelmed at the selection, normal to what people in the states would be used to but at our base, selection is limited to the best selling.

Tomorrow is the big day! We are hoping to arrive in time to see the boat pull in and see the sailors man the rails. My friend and I are extremely excited, even though it has only been three weeks. I can hardly wait.

1 comment:

  1. We are thankful for your family's commitment to serving our country. Enjoy the holidays together.

    ReplyDelete