February 24, 2011

Finally, I'm Working Again

Last week I was called and asked to sub long term for a teacher who was expecting. Without asking nay questions at all, I said, "Sure! I'd love to!" Only afterwards did I think to ask what grade and get some more details. To my surprise, it's not a grade: it's an ESL (English as a second language) classroom. I began to worry because I only had a few ESL students while getting my degree, but after going to shadow the teacher for a day, my fears were quickly relieved.

My days are busy, I have seven or eight groups of students throughout the day and walk from classroom to classroom. The kids are all well behaved and so far, I'm loving it. Even though I have to plan many lesson per day on different levels, I can mold each lesson to each groups needs and not have to worry about differentiating for an entire classroom.

Our lessons range anywhere from learning to read and sound out words to grammar and perfecting their writing technique. Some groups I just sit by and assist as needed while the mainstream teacher conducts the lesson. I am liking this more than I thought I would. It's also great to have an excuse to wear my work clothes again. I love looking professional.

Today was my first day going solo (the teacher went into labor a couple weeks early) and everything went very smoothly. I actually had tons of free time to decide how I wanted to run the classroom because one grade level took a field trip and I have two groups from that grade. So I planned a lot today and then came home to plan some more. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment